Monday, February 25, 2008

Autism Again

If anyone has a particular interest in learning about autism, please check the blog of Dr. Kristina Chew. I adore her. Chew teaches here at Saint Peter's College in the gone, but not forgotten- and currently reviving classics department. She has a ten year old son, Charlie who is autistic. Just this past Thursday, I babysat Charlie while Dr. Chew attended a function for the Honors program. He was well behaved, but there was no way I could take my eyes off of him for a second. I watched him for an hour and a half. In that time, I learned a lot about the disorder and got a quick sense of what parents of autistic children face on a daily basis.

http://www.autismvox.com/ is the website of the blog.

There is also additional information and another blog on Dr. Chew's main website:
www.kristinachew.com

http://autism.wordpress.com/category/education/ this link here names the postings on Dr. Chew's "Autismland" blog that deal with autism and education.




I am so totally into blogging now.

3 comments:

Chloe said...

This was a really interesting blog. My best friend just realized that she wants to teach autistic children, so I shared your blog with her. Autism is very hard to handle, and I will admit, I do not think I could handle it. It takes a strong person, and you have it.

Chrissy said...

I actually had an autisic boy in my class while I was student teaching. I had to attend many meetings on how to teach him. Fortuanlly, he was very good in my class, and smart. But I did here many stories on how he would act up violently. It is challenging to teach autistic kids, but I think I would be up to it. I should try to meet this teacher here.

Mohammad Awadallah said...

I love Dr. Chew, as you know I have her for Greek!, anyway I can only imagine how hard it can be sometimes raising a children who need's the attention that an autistic child need's, listening to Dr. Chew speak in class I have nothing but praise for her, it's tough enough raising a child these day's but one with autistic make's it that much harder, but anyway Dr. Chew has immersed herself in the cause for autism and I admire her for that...